Food preservation is the method of storing foods for an extended period of time. The need to preserve food arises because fresh or perishable foods would otherwise spoil.
The most common form of food preservation is canning, which uses heat processing to kill pathogens and bacteria that lead to spoilage.
This prevents the food from spoiling and prolongs its shelf life. Other methods include salting, drying, pickling, smoking, freezing, and refrigerating.
Food processing can be a supply and convert the foods from vegetable and animal origin. Convert forms that tons of acceptable, higher keeping quality, and store additionally as distribute them.
Advantages of methods of food processing…
- It prevents spoilage from pathogens bacteria and qualitative and quantitative losses of nutrients. As a result of it protect the nutritive quality of food.
- It facilitates the production of food uniform quality and composition.
- Helps the formulation of foods to meet dietary and therapeutic requirements.
- Saves time and labor.
- Makes food more acceptable through the incorporation of variety, color, texture, and tastes.
- Enables the production of ready-to-serve foods for mass feeding and distribution easily.
- Provide for the RDA and balancing diet.
Advantages methods of food
- Prevents the expansion of a microorganism. like yeast, bacteria, fungi.
- Does not allow the food contamination of food and food contact surface or the other high risky food.
- Maintaining the quality of food texture and flavor.
- Can use for a long time such as vacuum pack food.
- Availability of foods in all seasons.
- Decreasing in wastage of product.
Methods of food preservation
The perishable foods are that don’t have a long keeping time. And readily spoil due to the action of microorganisms or bacteria.
So these foods got to be preserved as a result of, we will keep for an extended time and may use it in your food. Spoilage of food refers to undesirable changes within the color, flavor, texture, and tastes of the foodstuff produced because of long and unprotected storage.
The common methods are…
- VACUUM PACKING.
- UV LIGHT APPLYING.
It’s one of the important elements of common methods of food preservation. Drying reduces the water content from the food, as a result of it can keep a long period.
It is one of the oldest ways to preserve food. In warm and dry climates areas, people found it easy to preserve their food just by properly spacing.
Theirs produce out and letting the air take the moisture out of the food. Method of the Drying process, microorganism bacteria can’t grow on the dry product so we are able to keep it for an extended time. Examples are dry nuts, plums, jerked meat.
Dehydration is important to form packaged soups, coffee, tea, and most spices. There are some ways to dry food including dehydration, sun-drying, smoking, oven drying, and air drying. Among those, it’s one of the common methods of food preservation and processing.
It is the process of preserving food-stuff by heating it to a temperature that destroys pathogens, but which does not cook it. It usually refers to meat, fish, or shellfish.
The process of the aroma of hydrocarbons generated from the smoke processes the food and makes it even tastier to eat. it’s one variety of dehydration methods. Good examples are smoked salmon and smoked beef.
Freezing – Methods of food preservation
Freezing foods doesn’t kill bacteria and whenever suitable temperatures are encountered like bacteria present within the foods shall grow and spoil it. There are two primary methods of freezing.
One is the slow freezing method and the second one is the rapid freezing method. Possible, it is the foremost common technique in the present to preserve food on a business and domestic basis.
This state change is conducted in huge cold storage which may stock a good quantity of foodstuff which may be further utilized.
This vacuum packaging is a technique in food processing that helps to extend the shelf life of packaged foods.
It is a process in which a vacuum is drawn on a package, eliminating oxygen and allowing the removal of heat and water vapor from within the package.
Examples are all tight-fitting food cans such as baked beans, foul madames, tuna, tomato Pilate.
Salting is a popular method of food preservation, and it’s been used for many centuries. The salt draws water out of the food, which in turn inhibits the growth of bacteria.
Salt is the key ingredient in the food preservation process. The salt draws water out of bacteria and slows their spread. This prevents them from growing and spoiling the food.
Practices of sugar to preserve or methodology food is implausibly frequent where it involves preserving fruits. During this methodology fruits like apples, peaches, and plums are units of measurement cooked with sugar until they are crystallized then it’s kept dry.
Pasteurization is the process of heating food to a specific temperature for a set period of time in order to kill bacteria.
– high-temperature short time (HTST) – this is the most common type of pasteurization which simply involves heating products for 15 seconds at 71°C or more.
– low-temperature long time (LTLT) – this type entails heating products for 30 minutes at 60°C or more. It was developed because HTST