It originates from Mexico and is popular in many parts of Central and South America.
Table of contents
Mangoes are peeled, finely chopped, and mixed with other ingredients such as “onion,” tomatoes, scallions, salt, and pepper.
Sometimes there may be cilantro or even habanero peppers added to the mix.
The mango salsa is actually one accompaniment, which is often served with tortilla chips or crackers.
It can also be served as a side dish for grilled meat or any appetizers.
Why did I choose mango for the salsa recipe?
Mangoes are the quintessential ingredient of salsa.
The most common reason for using this fruit is that it has a delicate flavor that balances out the other ingredients in the salsa recipe.
In addition to this, it also has a natural sweetness which makes it a great ingredient for dishes like this.
The mango contains large amounts of fiber which makes it easier to digest and provides a good amount of energy as well.
The best varieties of Mango used for recipe of salsa
An excellent variety of mango for salsa is the Tommy Atkins mango. It has an elongated shape with light green skin and yellow flesh.
Also, it has an intense flavor and sweet taste as well as being able to blend well with other ingredients in salsas.
They are usually picked when they are ripe but not yet over-ripe which is usually in early to mid-May.
The Kent, Haden, and Tommy varieties of mango are also used for this recipe.
Choose your ingredients
We all have our own way of making salsa with the ingredients that we like. Some people use pineapple or plantains instead of mango or they might add more spices to their dish.
The ingredients for mango salsa are different in every recipe but the most common ones are onion, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño peppers, and mango.
1. Tomatoes– You can use fresh tomatoes in your salsa depending on what you have on hand.
2. Jalapenos– While they are not required for a great salsa, jalapenos give the salsa a little heat and some additional flavor. The jalapenos are also low in calories.
3. Onions– Onions are an important ingredient of mango salsa recipe, because they add depth of flavor to the salsa without adding too much spice or saltiness to it
4. Cilantro– Fresh cilantro is an essential ingredient in most salsas because it adds freshness and its aroma is intoxicatingly good!
5. Lime juice– The lime juice will give the salsa that tangy citrus flavor.
6. Ginger– It is an essential ingredient in many types of salsa. It’s not only the spiciness that it adds to the dish, but also its distinct flavor.
2 servings per container
Serving Size2 servings
- Amount Per ServingCalories138
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.2g 1%
- Sodium 7mg 1%
- Potassium 418mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
- Sugars 29g
- Protein 2.3g 5%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.