Eggplant Pastitsio is a Greek pasta recipe that is made with ground meat, vegetables, and sauce. This recipe contains two different meats – chicken and ground beef.
The recipe of Eggplant Pastitsio is made with eggplant, pasta and a sauce that has both meat and vegetables in it. The most common variations are spinach or artichoke pastitsio with either ground beef or spinach puree in the sauce mix.
The best part about this recipe is that it can be modified according to your taste by adding or excluding ingredients.
What is eggplant pastitsio?
It was first mentioned by Giovanni de la Francesca in his book on the life of Saint Francis of Assisi. The term pastichios comes from the Italian word “pasta”.
The recipe of Pastitsio was developed in the Byzantine era and has been popular in Greece, Turkey, and Italy. It is a pasta dish made of macaroni, ground beef, and cheese. It is commonly found in Greece and the United States.
There are two stories of how pastitsio got its name:
One story goes that when the word pastisios was first written on a menu, it was misread as “pastitsios” which means meat pie, like meat-filled empanadas.
The other story says that when a man named Antonis Pastisou served his guests at his taverna in Athens with this new dish for dinner one evening, they were so impressed by it that they started calling him by the name.
A Few Tips for Making the Best eggplant Pastitsio recipe Ever
Making the best eggplant pastitsio recipe ever doesn’t have to be difficult. Here are some tips to help you create this classic Greek dish.
1) Use high-quality ingredients: Go for quality in everything you buy for this recipe – use quality olive oil, fresh vegetables, high quality meat, and pasta.
2) Use salted butter: Forgo the unsalted butter if you’re using salted butter, it will help strengthen the flavors of the dish even more.
3) The sauce should be thick so it sticks to the pasta well.
4) Make sure to use fresh ingredients so you get the best flavor possible of the eggplant pastitsio recipe.
5) Use an egg yolk to help thicken the sauce if needed.
6) Instead of water, use.
7) Set the right temperature for baking.
8)The pastitsio Best to Served with tzatziki sauce, which is made from yogurt, cucumber, garlic and olive oil.
6 servings per container
Serving Size1 servings
- Amount Per ServingCalories496
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 12.1g 61%
- Cholesterol 86mg 29%
- Sodium 1925mg 81%
- Potassium 552mg 16%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 3.5g 15%
- Sugars 8.6g
- Protein 28.7g 58%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.